Sunday, November 30, 2008

A few of my favorite things



Yesterday, despite not feeling well, I got my Christmas tree put up. It actually went pretty smoothly, more so than in years past. Kyle was my only assistant since Taylor was at Mamaw's house with her cousins. Wilson helped a little bit too by unwrapping ornaments and running off with the tissue paper. I thought I'd show you a few of my favorite ornaments...

This one is was made by my Aunt Sandy. It is a small gourd painted to look like a snow man and festooned with a gorgeous yarn cap and scarf. 
Kyle brought this one home in second grade. It was made by two of his favorite teachers, one who is no longer living. 
I have several of these ginger bread men on my tree. I made them several  years ago out of salt and flour (wheat flour). They look so country and cute and very happy to be hanging in my tree by a hole in their head.
Now, Darth Vadar here, as out of focus as he may be, is so completely awesome. He has been on my tree for about 10 years now so he deserves some recognition. He was a gift from Granna to Kyle. Not only is he cool looking, but every time I plug my tree back in, this low ominous breathing begins to fill the room and then James Earl Jones' voice announces, "The force is with you young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet". I never hear Darth Vadars voice without sugar plums dancing in my head. 
This one is also Kyle's and one of my most cherished ornaments. He made it in kindergarten from a sweet-gum-ball and toothpicks. It the most challenging to pack away but it is thrilling to take it out of the box every year.
This one always makes me all warm and toasty inside, and it also makes me want to weep like a little girl. It is Taylor's hand made into a Santa Clause back from 2nd grade. I always hold it in my hand for a moment and remember when she was this small. It's almost too much for this old heart to bear. (Please note the crazy camera cyclops in the gold ball ornament)
I guess I don't need to tell you how this one pulled at my heart when I unwrapped it. When it got packed away last year, Buddy was still part of our family and there was no indication that he wouldn't be for a long time. A lot can change in a year.

But look who's under my tree this year! Life goes on even though at times it hurts. Children grow up, grandparents die, pets come and go. I guess the older I get the more important these little trinkets of memories become. It isn't the glitter and the glue that is so completely invaluable but the memories tied to them. Those are the things that last forever. 

No comments: