Sunday, March 1, 2009

Lazy weekend

The title of this blog may be misleading for the dogs were the only souls around here that had a "lazy weekend". All of us humans were very busy. Rodney and I had farm work to do on Saturday. Very poopy, backbreaking, sweaty, stinky farm work. I also had to try and dig my way through a mountain of laundry. Kyle has been cheering non-stop for our Warriors while they were at regionals (which they won by the way) and didn't get home until this afternoon. Taylor had an "upward bound" event to go to in Little Rock on Saturday. She had to leave the house at 5:30 am and did this on her own. I woke up to find a post-it on the kitchen faucet telling me that she was on her way to Little Rock and to call her when I woke up. I was so darn proud of her (and so relieved that I was able to sleep in a bit). 
The dogs on the other hand, well just take a look for yourselves. Can dogs be considered couch potatoes? Well, these guys were this weekend. At one point I thought about giving them the remote control and fixing them a plate of nachos. Momma was even too busy to take them for their walk. I thought this would make them more rambunctious but, nope.  

Jerico could barely even open his eyes to get his picture made. I'm starting to feel that he is becoming more and more a member of the family. We are still having some serious issues when it comes to the cats. He chases the cats outside, he barks at Rodney's kitty inside and once he becomes fixated on them, it is quite a chore to break his train of thought. I've spoken with the lady from whom I adopted him and she suggested a training collar. I ordered one from her and it should be here tomorrow. This collar is supposed to be painless and really work wonders in training dogs to obey. Jerico also has a bit of a separation anxiety issue. There are times when I can leave him and he is completely fine and other times when he freaks. I've got a little less trim around my front door and no longer have mini blinds in my front window. I'm being patient and understanding with him. I can only imagine what he has been through and other than the cat thing and the separation thing, his completely wonderful. I really feel like we can work through these issues. This is just one of those things that you just can't quit on. I'm committed to helping him through his problems and I feel like in the process, we will both become stronger. 

No comments: