Monday, October 20, 2008

Bart


So I'm sure you have figured out by now that this blog has no rhyme or reason, with either subject or consistency of posting...so here is a totally random subject. I LOVE Bart the Bear. Do you remember him? He was in the movie "The Bear" and "The Edge" with Anthony Hopkins. I remember seeing him in some other things too and I even remember the year that he was at the Oscars. Sadly he died in 2000 at the age of 23 but I am still a fan. 
If you get time, go to youtube and watch his tribute...
It will make you all warm and toasty inside and probably make you cry. I am so impressed with his trainer Doug Seus. He seems like the perfect animal guy. He used complete and total positive reinforcement and never said a cross word to this bear (you'd have to be pretty stupid to pick a fight with him). When he died he weighed 1500 pounds and when he stood up he was 9 1/2 feet tall. Can you imagine that? And yet, he was as gentle as a puppy and lived to entertain and please his trainer. One of the best things I've heard in a while came from the tribute to him. Doug's wife said that you can look out at a mountain and if there isn't wildlife in it, it's just scenery, it isn't alive. Wow, that made me stop and think. I've always made it a point to touch the earth softly, to not leave a mark and keep it preserved the way God made it. I have a deep respect for mother nature and all her glory, I always have. When I get to witness something as profound as a 1500 pound bear that will hit his mark because a human tells him to, it really causes me to ponder the great and wonderful world we live it. So much is possible. 

No comments: