Friday, June 27, 2008

Working Cows

We worked our cattle herd yesterday. All of us are having trouble moving this morning but we are slowly starting to get going. I love our cows. The work that goes along with cattle is sometimes exhausting but it also has many rewards. There were a few times yesterday in the midst of it all that I had to stop and wonder "what in the world am I doing here?". When certain members of our herd, the ones that could use a few therapy sessions, decide that they don't want to have their vaccination and protest very aggressively, I then put my hands over my ears, shut my eyes and find my happy place. This is when I'm sure that Rodney is so grateful that I am there to help. There are a few that had their numbers written down in our book to be taken to the sale barn. I guess if we were old hands at this stuff and rode around on horseback roping and pinning cattle, it wouldn't be such a big deal when you get a squirrelly cow in the lot. We, however, expect them to walk through the shoot, put their heads in the gate and nicely and quietly accept their vaccine and move on. Most of them do, but the ones who don't can sure make it hard on the rest of them. 
Anyway, they are all vaccinated and wormed and moved to greener pastures. This feels like quite an accomplishment. They have been moved to the "north side" which is where my house sits. I love when they are over here. I like to be able to look out my windows and see them grazing. Sitting at my kitchen table in the morning sipping coffee and watching cattle graze is one of my many rewards for living this life of a farmer. 

No comments: