Thursday, June 4, 2009

A Coffee Conflict


Once in a while my eyes become awakened to how charmed a life I lead. Sometimes it is through things people tell me, other times it is through events or even just happenstances, and I take in a deep breath and sit back and wonder how I ever became so blessed. 

Recently, I've had a dilemma of sorts that made me stop and thank God for the life I lead. I don't know that I've ever blogged about my love of coffee. If your a coffee lover yourself, I need not explain this to you. There is something about that indelible aroma and the feel of a warm mug in your hand. Even the sound of coffee being poured is one that is comforting and nostalgic. Rodney and I are very spoiled when it comes to our coffee. We started becoming coffee connoisseurs around my 30th birthday, the year I got a coffee bean grinder. Before this, we were barely even interested in what brand of coffee we drank, just whatever was on sale. The first morning we woke up and ground fresh beans and brewed a glorious pot of oh-so-delicious coffee didn't seems to be life changing at the time, but we would soon become spoiled to the routine of grinding beans. After we ran out of our first bag of beans, we didn't think a thing in the world about buying a can of ground coffee on sale and brewing as normal, but when we took the first sip, almost in unison, we looked at one another in disgust and tried to figure out what the heck was wrong with the coffee??!! Now living a modest, country life affords very few material luxuries, so my dear husband and I decided that we would allow ourselves to be spoiled when it comes to our coffee. Not only am I spoiled about what is in my cup but I'm a little spoiled about how it gets there. Rodney, somehow, inherited the duty of coffee brewer and even if I happen to be the first one out of bed, I will patiently wait for him to rise and get the coffee going...I've even been known to go and wake him with a pitiful "I neeeeeddddd cooofffeeee".  If you want to smack me at this point, I'll understand. 

The latest chapter in our coffee evolution is that our bean supplier has been out of stock for months. Usually we make a trip to Texarkana once every batch of chickens to stock up on supplies at Sam's, coffee beans included. You can get a 2.5 lb bag for about 14 dollars and this lasts us for about 6 weeks. The last time we went to Sam's, no beans!! Well, this just confused us so and was so completely upsetting we weren't even sure what to do, how will life go on? So, we have been buying sad little 12 oz bags of beans from different places, spending way too much and all the while, researching places to buy coffee beans. It was at this point, sitting at my computer, seriously discussing all the different options out there with Rodney (over coffee in the morning) that I thought "gee, I've really got it rough!" I mean if my big concern is that I'm paying a little too much for coffee beans...I am seriously leading a way too contented life. I am happy to announce that I found a 5 lb bag of beans through Amazon that was reasonably priced. They are on the way now which is something else that thrills me. They've left Kentucky and will soon be in my kitchen awaiting their glorious destiny. My mornings with Rodney are precious and sweet and sharing a cup of coffee with him every morning is truly, one of life's little luxuries.  




4 comments:

Leona Martin said...

I could have written this blog! Right down to the waiting for Gary (not Rodney) to get up to fix me a cup even though I'm perfectly capable of fixing it myself. I'm very fortunate that my sweet hubby makes me coffee everyday. I'm not a morning person, so we don't have time to sit down and drink our coffee together. However, he has it in my mug waiting for me to carry it out the door on the way to school.

Enjoy your Coffee Jennifer!!

Anonymous said...

I know it's wrong but I am SO Jealous of your life!! In my eyes it's perfect right down to having coffee with the man of your dreams every morning!

Unknown said...

Hi punkin. I love you and even though I don't drink coffee, I love the smell and I loved your story. I'm so happy that you have the knowledge of your blessing, the happy blessing. I do however have to have my tea just right. I now miss my 'sweet & low' for it so enhanced the flavor of my tea. It was hurting my health that ol sweet & low. Auntie Judy is bringing me some natural sweetener and it is expensive, but like you I will know how blessed I am to have, tea, a daughter, sisters, and on and on. blessings. . blessings. . .

Gayla Claborn said...

Jennifer, We must take a coffee break sometime. We have so many of the same passions. You described it just as I've experienced it. The first time I went back to ground after real beans... EEKKK!! It was dreadful. When you described the warm mug, I almost felt it in my hand. (And it should always be a real mug -not a Styrofoam cup). Such luxuries and I am grateful as well. Coffee, sweet nectar of life.