Sunday, May 31, 2009

What I was missing

I'm pretty sure I've used the picture above in a previous blog, but it is a perfect example of my morning. I've been telling myself for over a month now that I was going to start waking up at 6:00 and going walking while it is still cool out, be home before 7:00 and get my day rolling. Summer is tricky sometimes, especially for someone like me who is completely non-self-disciplined. The kids don't have to be up at any certain time, having your own business allows Rodney and I to have a fairly loose schedule, so basically I'm left to my own determination. This is a good thing, but also a challenge. 


Yesterday, Taylor and I decided to go to Texarkana on a whim. Just go do a little shopping and get away from the farm for a few hours. We had an absolute ball just laughing and talking in the car, doing the few little errands that we went for and, well, just being together. One necessity on any venture to Texarkana is a visit to Starbucks. It is physically impossible to pass this up when we go to the big city for this is a luxury we don't have in our immediate midst. I knew when I did it that I would pay for it later, but boy was that Grande coffee with cinnamon and cream delicious going down. So, the payment came with a very restless night of sleep and my eyes popping open at 5:45 with no hopes of shutting them back. Incidentally, I also had a steroid shot a few days ago for poison ivy...needless to say that I was all "jacked up" this morning. I decided to take full advantage of my awakened state.

 
Did you know that it is light out at 5:45 this time of year?? I had no idea. I didn't even know what I had been missing all these mornings just lying in bed. Man is is pretty out there. The air is so cool and moist, I wish I could send you all a great big helping of fresh country morning air because it is a sweet as honey. The birds are rejoicing that the sun has returned and I've been missing all of it because of silly old sleep. My walk is now done for the day, coffee is brewing in the pot (the only coffee I'll have today thanks) Eddie is sleeping in my lap and I've got a couple of hours to study for my Bible school class this morning. What I'm hoping is that by this evening, I'll be completely exhausted, get to to sleep at a decent hour (sleep all night) and can do this again tomorrow morning. All you early risers out there don't think to harshly of me for having neglected the beauty of the mornings. And now I shall leave you all with one of my favorite poems that has a totally new meaning to me now. 

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay
.
.... Robert Frost

No comments: