Monday, August 18, 2008

First day of school blues


Where has the time gone? I remember the day we took these pictures and it seems like only yesterday. Today is the first day of school. Taylor is starting today as a sophomore and Kyle, a freshman, yet I can still vividly remember when they were only babies. I don't think that I have ever made it through a first day of school without shedding a tear, even when I was in school. It seems to mark a new chapter of life, a clear and distinct reminder that time is barreling by like a freight train and I am helpless to stop it. This morning was no exception. I was feeling quite fine about it all, going through a pretty normal morning of coffee and breakfast, making sure everybody was ready, and heading out the door. We drove to school like normal, singing to the radio and talking about what lay ahead for the day. It wasn't until they got out of the car and I started to drive away that it hit me like it always does, that pain of leaving them behind, leaving them in the care of others, letting them be individuals and depend on their own selves. It is the same feeling that I felt when I saw my mother drive away on my first day of school, any first day of school. I guess it has something to do with change. A step into the future, into what is to come and being unsure. Even though my heart felt pain, I thank God that I have such wonderful children that it causes me grief the be apart from them. I am also thankful that I have a full day of work ahead of me and that I can look forward to this evening when they will walk down my driveway and back into my arms again. For even though we must suffer times for being separated, we can always look forward to when we will meet again. 

No comments: