Friday, April 18, 2008

Gift

Wednesday, April 16th was my birthday. When I woke up on my birthday morning I was greeted in the kitchen by a package on my bar which was obviously a present from my husband. I must tell you that it didn't matter what was in the box, the gift was the gift itself. We both had a good laugh over the wrapping of it...a feed sack and duct tape. Very Rodney. Taylor came sleepily into the kitchen and handed me a card that she had made herself. She bought me a "bubble umbrella" you know the big see-through kind. I've been wanting one of those forever. The umbrella hadn't come in yet so she had a picture of it on the card. Kyle gave me a hug. I realized, in this moment, that this was probably as good as it gets. This goodness didn't come from being presented with gifts, but from standing in my kitchen with my family laughing, sipping coffee, and just being together. I don't know how it could have gotten any better. I thought about the people who don't have families and laughter, (or coffee) and thanked God for my life. I sometimes feel that I am somehow missing out on things, living this life of a farmer...but it is fleeting and I remember that I am blessed and that I have the rest of my life (however long it may be) to grow and learn. My dad told me that he hoped that I had a lot more birthdays and I said that I hoped so to because things were just starting to get interesting. 

No comments: