Friday, May 1, 2009

Catching the Train

About 4 years ago, I lost 40 pounds. It took me a whole year to do it and it was one of the hardest but most rewarding things I've ever done. I kept off the weight for a couple of years but over the past year I've gained about 20 of it back. When I was at my lowest weight, I swore I would NEVER go back to where I was, it felt way too good to be healthy. 

During my initial weight-loss, there was an overwhelming sense of urgency to "just do it". I have been trying to get that mind-set back and have been reflecting on what helped me to be so successful the first time around. One thing I remember was this feeling of momentum. I'll explain. The analogy is that of a train. Ok, when a train is sitting still on the tracks, it must use a tremendous amount of energy to get itself moving. It begins to move but it is slow, very slow. As it moves along it starts to gain speed, faster and faster. After a time, it uses much less energy and is being pushed along by it's own momentum. Once it gets going this fast, it takes a whole lot more energy to stop the train too. 

The hardest part is getting going! The hardest thing I've found about exercise is putting on my shoes and walking out the door. Once I'm out there, I'm ready to go...I don't ever get half way and wish I had stayed home. The daily exercise will create the momentum I need to keep going and keep doing it daily. Does that make sense?? I feel like I'm on my way but I am in that very delicate period where if I put on the brakes it won't take much to be sitting idle. I did weigh myself this morning and I've lost 2 pounds. If I keep this up I should be to my goal in about 10 weeks. Summer won't even be over! 

If you're following along with me I hope that you can push through the hard part and keep going. I know how it feels to want to work for a few days and expect to be able to fit into your skinny jeans already. The goal is a life-long commitment to health. Remember...loosing weight won't make you happy, getting healthy and happy will help you loose weight. 

2 comments:

Tori said...

Jennifer, get the train on the tracks and do the whole "think I can, I think I can" up the hills. From my heaviest I'm down close to 70 pounds now, but have another 20 to get to my final goal. Let's do it together!

Ozark Mountain Woman said...

You go girl!
I finished my Algebra final today. On my to do list is to send you a package: calculator and sweater.
Have you thought anymore about taking some classes next fall? I think you should take some writing classes. You have a talent and coupled with your pictures. Whoa...