Monday, September 14, 2009

Precious Moments

We celebrated Taylor's 17th birthday on Friday evening. As I got out her birthday banner, I was reminiscent of the birthdays that have come before. I think I made this banner for Taylor when she was 8 or 9, so it's been around a while.
There is something even more precious about Taylor's birthday's that has started to become quite a display in my house. Every year, Granna gets Taylor a Precious Moments figurine. Now she has a whopping 17 of them.
This was #1. Seems like such a long time ago, and yet somehow it seems like yesterday. Granna has a knack for capturing the memories of the year with the figure she so carefully chooses. There is a spiritual bond between those chicks, Taylor and her Granna. Who better to choose a gift to be reminiscent of the years gone by.
She even gets her an ornament every Christmas, which I can't bear to put in storage so they sit in with the others all year long in the curio cabinet. I figure they have much to chat about and I would hate to separate them.
As they began to accumulate, I loved the sweet, enchanting pastel light they began to cast. The more that gathered, the prettier the display became.
All of them as a whole is a precious thing, and each individually, special.
Like the one she got the year she played ball.
Or the one when she was Miss Cheerleader.
The one she got after we moved her to the chicken farm (bless her heart).
This one she got the first year her Daddy took her deer hunting. You can't tell me that doesn't make your heart get all mushy and sentimental, or is it just me?
This is the one she got this year. I noticed as I placed her in the cabinet with the rest that she had several with kitties...wonder why??
So, in she goes to be displayed oh so proudly...the current year gets the front row, I'm sure the others don't mind. They've all had their turn.
...and when it is time for Taylor to go out into the world on her own, they will travel with her. I'm sure the assembly will continue to grow as long as Taylor continues to have birthdays. And each year she can look back and not only remember each years uniqueness, but will have something precious and abiding from her Granna.

No comments: