Monday, August 17, 2009

Knowledge

I've always loved books, even though I'm not a big reader...there is just something so alluring and charming about a book. Last week, I went with Mom to Rich Mountain Community College in Mena so she could register for a class she's been wanting to take for years. Oral Communication. (That is a different blog entirely).

While we were on campus, Taylor and I popped into the college book store while Mom was finishing up her registration process. College book stores are one of my favorite places.

This book store is small, I mean it's Mena Arkansas people, but still offered enough pens, pencils, paper and other office supplies to lure me in.

Then low-and-behold, there before me was a whole table full of college books on sale for a DOLLAR a piece!! My heart nearly stopped.

I love a bargain almost as much as I love a good book.
This is what I made it out of there with. Taylor was convinced that I had lost my mind, especially when I started drooling and quivering with excitement. As I piled one book after another into my arms, she kept inching further and further away from me, pretending not to know me.

But, just look what I scored!
How could I NOT buy this book?
or this one? I was thinking to myself...I'll learn EVERY name of EVERY plant, and how to use them beneficially. My knowledge will be unsurpassed in my small circle and people will look to me for advice about how to care for their plants. (yeah right)
Words, words, words. How I love them so. Sometimes I randomly flip through my i pod dictionary and absorb a few definitions. It is always thrilling when one of my kids asks me what a specific word means. OHHH...I'll look it up and we can discuss this at length. They don't ask me this question nearly as much as they used to.
The Examined Life? You mean like, why am I here? Philosophy? Yes, I need this book. Did I mention that they were only a dollar??
I'm not really sure what this book is used to teach, but it had the words life and development upon the cover and it was also very pretty. I judge books by there cover even though I know I'm not supposed to.
Now this one, I wish I could hire somebody else to read for me and then take care of my personal finances for me. I figured that I could apply some of the financial theories and expertise in this book to my farm finances and now my soap business.

I really wish I could lay on the floor, put these books atop my head and absorb them into my brain. Along with my recent interest in aromatherapy, soap making, and attempting to memorize scripture...my brain is on overload. I'm just one of those people that always thinks I can do everything, then find myself exhausted and completely drained. The good thing about it is that, so far, I haven't given up trying.

No comments: