Saturday, July 4, 2009

A Love Story


WARNING...this could get mushy!

Rodney and I have been married today for 18 years. It frightens me just to say it out loud...am I that old? My parents were married 20 years when I got married, married 22  years when Taylor was born. Does this mean in a few more years I could be a grandparent?? Taylor has promised me that she is waiting till she graduates from college before she gets married. Lord please help her keep this promise. 

One thing I have always prayed for my children is that they will find a love like the love Rodney and I share. Much more than I wish that they be financially content, or have nice things, or even have a successful career. I want them to be so in love that they act like idiots, they can't think of anything else, and that there is not even a question mark that this is the person that they were meant to spend their lives with. 

We have often wondered why God smiled so generously upon us when He gave us to each other. Even now, there are times when we will talk about it. How the timing and circumstances had to fall into place for us to have even met, and how God had all of this planned, how we love Him for that. 

In the past 18 years we have fought like only two passionate people can fight, we've wept together and laughed hysterically. We welcomed our babies into the world and lavished them with every ounce of love in us. We have made mistakes that cost us greatly and have walked through some very dark times and even, at times, thought of quitting. What is so exciting to me is looking forward at where we still have to go and it is so comforting to know that we will be right there together, come what may. 

Rodney is my very best friend. He makes me laugh like nobody else can and he can break my heart with just a look. I love that I still get butterflies when he walks in a room and that he still winks at me and smiles when he sees me looking his way. He is precious, anybody who knows him will agree. My parents always told me it was going to take a special man to be able to live with me...I guess they were right. 

I told you I was gonna get mushy! Bottom line is that I am thrilled to death to have spent the past 18 years of my life (half of my life) with my lovely husband. I'm proud of how far we've come and I am looking forward to the next chapters in our little book. 






No comments: