Thursday, July 2, 2009

Stepping out of the box

I have gotten to the age now that I sometimes have to be reminded how old I am. Also, I think I'm going through a bit of a mid-life-crisis, rebelling against nature and refusing to get "old" stage. Life is fleeting, I've always known this intellectually but am recently starting to feel like I'm hanging on to the side of a speeding train by my finger nails. 

I've also been doing a bible study that revolves somewhat around destiny and what God's will is for my life. There are times when I feel like God put me on earth to do laundry, and I'm not kidding about that. 

Pondering such weighty issues can cause a woman to go somewhat insane. I mean there are only so many loads of laundry you can do, so many bills to pay or so many dishes to pick up off the coffee table or so many times to clean the toilet before you snap. 

Some women might actually take a sledge hammer to the television, or throw their husbands golf clubs in the pond!

I actually know a woman that did that...she is my hero 

They may just lock themselves in the bathroom and weep for hours or eat an entire bag of oreos. 
Some women go as far as to leave their families, hoping that they will somehow escape life's little mundane chores and go live with a rock star in hollywood. 

I have contemplated doing many of these things. I've done the weeping, I've come very close to throwing a sledge hammer at the television, I've never eaten an entire bag of oreos but I sure wanted to.

So, I've said all of this to tell all of you that I stepped out of my little box of laundry, dishes, toilets, chickens, goats, etc...and got a fricken TATTOO!!!

Now before you start thinking that I've gone insane and did this out of rebellion you should know that I've been considering doing this for a while. Aimee was here for a few days this week and she was very inspirational in getting me to "live my life". You know, peer pressure...you only live once, don't be a baby, everybody else is doing it etc...
Taylor and Aimee got one too. I was much more concerned and worried about how I would be viewed by letting my 16 year old daughter get one than I was about getting one myself. 

The experience was something I'll never forget. This is one of the main reasons I was convinced I should just go ahead and do it. We had a blast! This is the same reason that I took my kids to see Metallica, I kept hearing that song by Kenny Chesney "A lot of things different". 

The truth is, you only live once. Life is short. Time flies. 

I don't know how much longer this phase of mine will last. I'm drifting somewhere in the wilderness of life, wondering what will come next. I'm tired and restless all at the same time. I want to give up but I want to press on. Getting a tattoo, so far, hasn't helped me to come to any revelation about my destiny but I know for sure that there is something on the horizon...I just have to be patient and wait for it.

No comments: