Monday, March 15, 2010

A Goose on the Loose

Our farm has had many feathered visitors over the years. I love to see the ponds sprinkled with mallards in the winter and always wonder where they've been all summer long. We have Great Blue Heron's all year round and every time I see one in flight I always say, "oh look, a terra-dactyl!" They are on my endangered species list (I keep my own) and are not to be hunted on my farm. Rodney tried to convince me that they would eat all the fish if we didn't shoot them. I convinced him that should we EVER start eating fish from the pond then I would consider it but my belief is that they only eat the little ones, leaving room for the others to grow. You know, that whole ecosystem thing.

One year we had a flock of pelicans stay for the night. I am not lying. I swear...PELICANS!!
My list of endangered species is quite long. It also includes Canadian Geese. There have been three here on the farm for a couple of weeks now and I'm already dreading their leaving.
Three is an odd number (I learned that in school). What is peculiar about a threesome of geese, however, is that they usually come in pairs. Geese mate for life so one by itself means either he hasn't found a mate or that on the long journey from Canada, his mate was lost or killed.
Excuse me while I go cry into a sofa pillow.
Sometimes all three are together and then, at times...this one is all alone. I'm not sure if you are Mr. Goose or Mrs. Goose, but my heart is broken for you. Cue the dramatic heart-swelling music.
Uh OH...Run Mr. Goose, I mean Mrs. Goose, whoever you are are...RUN!!
Eddie is sweet and all but I don't think he is coming to lick your face. HAUL ASS!!
Poor Eddie. He doesn't understand that he can't catch things that fly, or swim. Not for a lack of trying however.
Ok, that is just cool.
And...safe in the pond.
na ne na ne boo boo
He got away Momma.
I'm in love with this goose.
I think he loves me too.
Stay as long as you'd like. You are graceful and lovely and I'd be honored to have you as a guest. Eddie promises it won't be boring.

No comments: