Saturday, January 30, 2010

Snow Therapy

I've heard people say all my life that time goes by faster and faster the older you get. While this may be true on the grandfather clock of life, I'm convinced that each winter I've lived through has progressively grown longer. I am also completely sure that I suffer from "seasonal affective disorder". The symptoms are...

  • Afternoon slumps with decreased energy and concentration
  • Carbohydrate cravings
  • Decreased interest in work or other activities
  • Depression that starts in fall or winter
  • Increased appetite with weight gain
  • Increased sleep and excessive daytime sleepiness
  • Lack of energy
  • Slow, sluggish, lethargic movement



Oh, this is me for sure. And I know I'm not the only one who is plagued with this cursed disorder. Do I have to call it a disorder? I think I'll just call it a phase. When bears crawl into their caves for the winter and sleep for months, we don't slap a label on them and consider them to to have some stupid disorder...it's just the way things are.

Although the weather may cause my mood to change somewhat, I am a perpetual optimist and will do whatever I can to see the rainbow in the storm. You know, that "silver lining" that people speak of, that is what I'm after. Thankfully, God helps me out and gives me much to be happy about, however, I am the one that must find it.
So, last night, the skies broke forth and showered glorious snow upon the earth. When you live somewhere like southwest Arkansas, snow is completely thrilling. We usually get a little every year, and we have had years that have given us more than our fair share, but it is just enough to keep us all on the edge of our seats when the forecast predicts winter precipitation.

It's amazing how cathartic a little snow can be for someone in the throws of seasonal depression. I almost couldn't wait for the sun to come up and reveal what mother nature had been up to while we slept. My camera and I were sure to have much to do.
So when the sun did come up, I set out with the only other person in my family that shares my excitement of the snow...Kyle. It helps to have a friend that is a thrilled as you are about something so simple.
I might get excited about the snow, but Kyle literally embraces the stuff. We had only been out for a few minutes when I shot this picture and look at how covered he is in snow already! I don't know how he does it, but whatever he finds to do, he does it 150%.
We were trudging through "The Big Woods". To the east of my house are the Big Woods, to the west of my house lie the Little Woods. We love the Big Woods. They're big.
I was in search of evergreens with snow atop the foliage and Kyle insisted that we go to what he had deemed his favorite holly tree. There are so many things that I loved about that statement. He is fifteen, he's been in those woods enough to know which trees are his favorite and there is a holly tree standing in the thick of the woods that is loved by a boy.
Every little thing seems magical when it is dusted with snow. I love rattan anyway...the sheer audacity that is has to wrap itself around anything in it's path is amazing...add a little snow to it and it is truly a thing of beauty.

I wondered how many times I've walked past something as brilliant as moss growing on a stone and not noticed it. I should be ashamed of myself.
A hike through the woods in the cold and snow were just what I needed, but I passed on the tree climbing. I also reminded Kyle that our health insurance has still not gone into affect and if he broke his arm, it was going to have to stay broken. He assured me that this was not the first time he had climbed this particular tree and explained in some scientific detail about the make-up of a cedar tree and how it would be nearly impossible for him to break an arm.
Eddie joined in our thrill of hiking and frolicking through the snow.
Kyle and Eddie have a love/hate relationship. You will never see Eddie voluntarily curl up next to Kyle to snuggle or rest his head...Kyle is rarely still enough for snuggling of any sort. He is also a bit unpredictable and you never know what he is going to do, something that dogs really aren't crazy about. But playing outside, this is where Kyle and Eddie are suited perfectly.
I don't think a dog could ask for much more than a boy to play with
I couldn't tell if this was merriment or aggravation, but it sure made me laugh
Let us all pause momentarily to admire the perfect specimen of dog that Eddie has become.
When we returned home I was even taken aback at how my little double wide cottage even looked so whimsical and quaint with the roof top dusted white.

The snow is all but gone now. Just a few hours of bliss, but it was certainly well received. Tomorrow is the last day of January. I've still got to make it through February and possibly much of March before the warmer weather returns. We have even seen freezing temperatures and snow as far into the year as April. I promise I will continue to seek out my silver lining. They have been coming in all shapes and forms, today just happened to be sweet snow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.