Friday, October 9, 2009

Doggy Daycare


When Taylor and Kyle were little, before they started school, I was a stay-at-home-mom. In order to supplement our income, I also kept other people's kids in my home. There were days when I had as many as 7 children under the age of 5 in my house. It's a wonder I still have my sanity...and even that is questionable.

Today, things at Jenni's house are a little different. However, this morning as I was going about my daily morning activities, I realized they are, in a way, pretty much the same. The only difference is, instead of dealing with small people, I'm dealing with my four-legged children.

I am still required to keep the peace when arguments break out.
Ask people to use their inside voices
explain that it's rude to stick out your tongue
remind people to share their toys
make sure everybody gets ample playtime
clean em up when they get dirty
give kisses when somebody gets a boo boo.

and, what every mother looks forward to, nap time.

It makes me a little sad that Taylor and Kyle are at the age now that they are needing me less and less when in comes to this kind of stuff. Sure, I am still needed for laundry, dinner, and cash, but even more importantly, they need me to be there for them. See things have gone from the overwhelming task of meeting their physical needs, to being the person in their life with whom they need the big stuff; mental, emotional, and spiritual needs. In a way, these can be even more demanding than the physical...but I find if very rewarding to be walking hand-in-hand through our life's journey. See, (and don't tell them this) they teach me too!

And while I dread the next step, which is when they leave my little nest, I am excited to see what God has planned for them. And... I will still have my dogs. (and Rodney)

No comments: